VILLAGE OF CANTON, NEW YORK
FULL TIME CODE ENFORCEMENT OFFICER
The Village of Canton, New York is accepting applications for a full time Code Enforcement Officer.
Application form can be found here.
Distinguishing Features of the class: The work involves responsibility for administering and enforcing the New York State Uniform Fire Prevention and Building code or a local fire and/or building code if approved by the State Fire Prevention and Building Code Council. Under general supervision, provides for the coordination of all activities relevant to ensuring compliance with the appropriate laws, codes, rules and regulations.
Typical Work Activities:
- Administers and enforces all provisions of New York State Uniform Fire Prevention and Building Code, and other codes, laws, rules and regulations pertaining to the construction or alteration of buildings and structures;
- Prepares rules and regulations, application forms, building permits and certificates of occupancy for the approval of the local governing body, to be used for the administration on enforcement of the various codes, laws, etc.;
- Supervises, coordinates and participates in the inspection of various stages of construction, and upon completion of construction of buildings, structures and renewable energy projects;
- Works closely with engineering firms, attorneys, planning board and zoning board of appeals chairpersons;
- Issues, denies or revokes building permits and certificates of occupancy as required;
- Issues written notices to correct unsafe, illegal or dangerous conditions in existing structures;
- Inspects, as necessary, buildings and structures for compliance with the fire prevention provisions of the State Uniform Fire Prevention and Building Code;
- Issues a certificate of occupancy for a building constructed or altered in compliance with the provisions of the Uniform Code;
- Maintains accurate records on all transactions and activities including all applications received, permits and certificates issued, fees charged and collected, inspection reports and notice and orders issued;
- Prepares a variety of reports relevant to Code Enforcement activities for the municipal government;
- May assist the municipality in the gathering of information and data while in the normal performance of duties.
- Required to attend Village board meetings, Planning Board meetings and Zoning Board of Appeals meetings.
- Perform additional duties as directed by the Village board.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities & Personal Characteristics:
- Thorough knowledge of modern practices, principles, materials and tools used in building construction; knowledge of building trades; knowledge of the State Uniform Fire Prevention and Building Code and the local Zoning Code; knowledge of the principles of fire prevention.
- Ability to write clear and concise reports and to maintain records in an orderly manner.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative relationships with other public officials, building contractors and the general public.
- Ability and interest to work with Town GIS data via DANC portal.
- A) Graduation from a New York State registered or regionally accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree in Architecture, Civil Engineering, Civil Engineering Technology, Construction Technology or Fire Protection and Safety; OR
- B) Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university with an Associate’s Degree in Architecture, Civil Engineering, Civil Engineering Technology, Construction Technology or Fire Protection and Safety and one (1) year of full-time paid experience in building or fire prevention inspection, building construction work or in a building trade; OR
- C) Currently possesses a New York State Department of State Code Enforcement Certification as mandated in the State of New York Title 19 NYSCRR Part 434.5 (Certification of Code Enforcement Personnel) and has completed any necessary In-service Code Enforcement Personnel Training to maintain proper certification;
(Candidates stating, they possess the NYS Department of State Code Enforcement Certification will be required to provide proof of such certification and that the certification is currently in compliance with the regulations set forth under the State of New York Title 19 NYSCRR Part 434.5 (Certification of Code Enforcement Personnel) OR
- D) Three (3) years of full-time paid experience as described in (B) above.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT: Pursuant to the Department of State Division of Building Standards & Codes in the State of New York the incumbent must:
- Complete Basic Training requirements within eighteen (18) months of appointment.
- Obtain certification after completing the required Courses 9A16, 9B16, 9C16, 9D16, 9E16 and 9F16.
- Maintain the required yearly in-service training (24 hours annually) and any required advanced in-service training.
This will be a provisional appointment. The successful applicant will need to take a civil service examination and score within the top three interested candidates in order to be permanently appointed.
Send completed application, resume, three letters of recommendation and copy of certification(s) to Sally Noble, Village Clerk, Village of Canton, 60 Main Street, Canton, NY 13617. Application deadline: March 5, 2021.
Last modified: February 19, 2021