Village Treasurer, Village of Canton
Under the general supervision of the Board of Trustees and direct supervision of the Mayor, the Treasurer is responsible for the Village’s fiscal and budget administration. Work involves independently maintaining records and accounts in accordance with prescribed procedures and methods, balancing accounts, preparing and issuing financial statements, and disbursing Village funds. The position requires the ability to develop effective working relationships with the public and includes supervision of the Deputy Treasurer and related work as required.
- Prepares budget in collaboration with Mayor.
- Administers budget.
- Maintains fiscal accounts with detailed, classified budget control as prescribed by the New York State Comptroller, using a double-entry system.
- Receives all monies paid to the Village; disburses Village funds under direction of the Board; deposits Village funds in the public depository(ies) designated by the Board.
- Reviews claims for Village payments; oversees accounts payable payments and necessary transfers, to include preparation of 1099s.
- Prepares monthly bank reconciliations.
- Prepares year-end accruals and adjusting journals as necessary.
- Maintains all fiscal records and filing systems.
- Prepares financial reports for the Mayor and Board of Trustees.
- Supervises issuance of tax bills; collects property taxes; prepares re-levy of unpaid taxes to the County for collection.
- Prepares annual Payment in Lieu of Taxes (PILOT) billings; distributes receipts to School, Town, and County.
- Oversees billing and collection of water and sewer payments, including re-levy of unpaid water/sewer to Village taxes.
- Prepares all financial reports and necessary documents relative to borrowing money and issuing bonds; makes bond payments.
- Prepares abstract, vouchers, and checks for monthly payment of bills.
- Oversees retirement reporting.
- Oversees payroll operations in accordance with County, State, and Federal requirements; includes quarterly and annual reporting and W-2 preparation.
- Ensures compliance with all Civil Service paperwork, including annual payroll certification.
- Prepares Unemployment paperwork as needed.
- Assists CPA in preparation of annual report to the State Comptroller.
- Files annual Constitutional Tax Limit reporting.
- Invoices Town of Canton for shared services.
- Monitors grant revenues and grant reporting requirements.
- Performs contract administration duties; assists with bid openings and awarding of contracts.
- Answers correspondence and inquiries.
- Supervises Deputy Treasurer.
Minimum qualifications: either a) a Bachelor’s degree from a recognized college in accounting, public administration, business administration, or a related field and five years of accounting experience or b) an Associate’s degree in a related field and seven years of experience. Experience in governmental accounting is preferred.
The job description and application can be found at.
To apply, submit your letter of interest, application, resume, and three references to Sally Noble, Village Clerk, 60 Main St, Canton, NY 13617 or email to [email protected]. Review of applications will begin on April 8, 2022.
The Village of Canton is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.