2019 Recreation Director
The Recreation Director is responsible for planning, organizing, implementing, promoting, and overseeing Canton’s year-round recreation program and activities. Working under the supervision of the Mayor, in coordination with the joint Village/Town Recreation Committee, the Recreation Director:
- Oversees town-wide recreation activities and programs for residents of all ages.
- Supervises and supports recreation, facility, and maintenance staff.
- With the Mayor and Village Budget Officer, and with input from the Recreation Committee, develops and manages the $400,000+ recreation program budget.
- With the Economic Development Director, is responsible for fundraising and grant writing to support recreation programming.
- Develops, communicates, implements, and monitors five-year recreation program and capital plan.
Specifically, the Recreation Director’s responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Scheduling use of the Recreation Pavilion, Taylor Park, and all other recreation facilities, parks, and trails; maintaining online program and building schedules.
- Billing for all facilities use.
- Hiring, training, and supervising seasonal employees.
- Maintaining records, including all paperwork associated with the NYS Department of Health, and making monthly written reports to the Village and Town Boards.
- Developing and maintaining a policies and procedures manual for programs and staff.
- Working with the Head of Maintenance to oversee all basic maintenance needs of the department, including ice management.
- Developing, planning, scheduling, running, and supervising recreation programs and trips.
- Handling all program registrations, including developing improved, online registration capabilities.
- Marketing recreation programs and facilities; preparing publicity and news releases for programs and facilities; developing and maintaining a strong social media presence for recreation programs, handling Pavilion advertising.
Canton Recreation Program is a shared service between the Village and the Town; the Recreation Director is a shared position, but is a Village employee that reports to the Mayor and Board of Trustees.
Recreation Director is a Civil Service position; appointment will be provisional dependent on successful fulfillment of the Civil Service exam requirements. Compensation package commensurate with experience. Send application, letter of interest, and resume to Recreation Committee, Village of Canton, 60 Main Street, Canton, NY 13617 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline: Thursday, January 31, 4 p.m. The Village of Canton is an Equal Opportunity Employer.